Incoming students (study abroad)
English-taught courses are offered in the following programmes
- Mechanical Engineering /Mechatronics (M. Eng.)
- Product Refinement (M.Sc.)
- International Management Program (autumn semester for undergraduate students from partner universities)
The winter semester (WS) runs from September 1st till February 28th. (lectures from October 1st till approx. January 20; examinations outside this period). The summer semester (SS): March 1st till August 31st (lectures March 15th till around June 25th; exams outside this period).
The abbreviation SWS means: "Semesterwochenstunden" (number of teaching hours per week)
ERASMUS+ guest students (EU) need to fill out the Application Form and send it to us:
- through your international Office OR
- directly if you already have been nominated by your home university
International, non-ERASMUS-applicants may also use the form above. Simply leave the specific ERASMUS-questions, like "ERASMUS-code", open.
If your home university requires you to fill out its' form additionally it is no problem for us to handle and sign two forms.
Our admission is based on the recommendation/nomination of your home institution. Although it is NOT mandatory we appreciate to receive an up-to-date transcript of records of your studies. It helps us to advise you onchoosing the ideal modules.
Application deadline for the winter semester is June 15th, for the summer semester December 15th. You will receive an answer from us some weeks later.
Together with the Letter of Acceptance, we will send you information concerning accomodation. We do not directly offer accomodation, nor do we sign contracts on behalf of you, but - if desired - our student guides will normally bring you into contact with a landlord well before your arrival here.
Registration (after arrival)
The student's registration ID is obtained from:
Studierendensekretariat (Registration Office)
Morlauterer Straße 31, 67657 Kaiserslautern
Tel.:+49 631/3724-112 or -113
Mon-Fri.: 09:00 - 12:00 hrs.
Upon showing their student's registration ID, students obtain discount in the university canteens (Mensa), public transportation and some cultural events in the area.
For your registration you will need:
- Confirmation of health insurance
- Confirmation of your home university stating the number of semesters completed
- Proof of paying the student's semester fee (presently approx. 208 € in KL)
Enrolment and Registration (after arrival)
All foreign students, who plan to stay longer than three months in Germany must register at the Municipal Registration Office. EU-citizens have to register within one week after arrival. Non-EU-citizens must obtain a visa from the German embassy/consulate in their country PRIOR TO ENTERING Germany.
We advise the following order:
- Enrolment in the Enrolment Office " Studierendensekretariat" (as described above). You will obtain your student's enrolment ID that you have to show for
- Registration at the Municipal Registration Office " Bürgercenter Kaiserslautern" (within 1 week after arrival) Willy-Brandt-Platz 1, 67653 Kaiserslautern, Tel.: +49 631/365-2457, Mon-Wed: 07:30 - 16:00hrs, Thu: 07:30 - 18:00hrs, Fri.: 07:30 - 13:00hrs
- For Registration at the Municipal Foreign Citizens Office "Ausländerbehörde" you will need a confirmation of your landlord. (the form is at our International Office). Take this with your passport or ID to "Ausländerbehörde", Am Altenhof 11-13, 67655 Kaiserslautern, Mon-Fri.: 08:00 - 12:00 hrs. Note: get your queing ticket between 07.30 hrs and 08.00 hrs as the queue can be very long!
The procedure may sound complicated to you, but in practice it is rather easy. You will be supported by a student guide and - so far - nobody got lost "in the system".
Tests are rated by marks ranging from 1,0 (excellent) - 5,0 (unsufficient). Guest students receive at the end of their semester (it may take up to 6 weeks to receive all results) a Transcript of Records. This transcript always contains the ECTS-marks for credit transfer at your institution. We use the following following:
|German mark||ECTS grade|
1,0 ; 1,3
1,7 ; 2,0 ; 2,3
2,7; 3,0; 3,3
Tuition fees are not common in Germany and that's why we do not have a widely-developed system of scholarships. However, we do grant some scholarships, some of which are particularly aimed at supporting foreign students. In our case however, only registered students that have been studying at our university for at least two semesters can apply.